Monday, October 27, 2008

Center Foot Casters

In the bottom pic you can see I cut the original skirt plate off the Jag
Steel Feet. The reason I did this was to make room for the 3 inch casters
to turn without hitting the edges. I also cut this part off so I can match
the skirt to my outer feet.
The next pic shows how the plate and the casters are to fit inside the foot.
The next pic shows I left room between the casters so they don't make contact with each other and the next pic shows how they turn outward.
The next pic shows the top of the plates as they go into the foot shell.
The screw type bolts will be changed to regular bolts after I finish fitting everything.
The next pic shows how I redrilled the spots for the shaft couplers to bolt
together. Jag had this set for Omniwheels, But I like the casters better.
So his original holes had to be redrilled.
The last pic shows the bolts holding the caster to the plate. You can see the
screws that go into the top plate.
The idea behind this setup goes as this:
1st - You bolt the A plate inside the foot shell, The screws that hold it together
also bolt the Moons on the side of the foot.
2nd - You bolt the larger outer bolts through the caster and then set it down in the foot shell on top of the A plate.
3rd - You bolt the 4 bolts through the bottom plate into the A plate and this locks the plates together and your done.









Skirt Painted

Still wet with paint, But here's how it looks now.
There are Boo-Boo's from the day it was made, But I'm not
going to put allot of time into correcting them.
It will get weathered with the rest of R2.

Friday, October 24, 2008

A&A Foot Motor Mount Shims

After working with some nylon shims I found the correct size for the shims.
It will require a 1 inch and a 1/4 inch Aluminum tube shim along with 3 flat washers.
Now that this is behind me, I will finish up the motor mounts and will start on the
wheels for the center foot.
It will be nice to be able to move R2 around on his wheels, He's getting heavy enough that I have to drag him around.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vex Signal Splitter

My replacement Signal Splitter came it today.
The original splitter had a problem with jittering when it was connected
on the 1st two outputs for the servos.
Vex really stays up on the parts they sell and I'm very happy with them.
The new splitter looks the same except on the back it says V.2.
Anyone that has purchased the splitter can get the replacement for free,
All you need is the invoice for the original splitter.

Skirt Work



I had allot of work to do on the Jag Skirt.
Everywhere you see the red Glazing Putty is a bad spot.
It was bad enough, I had to use some Bondo and actually grind down
some of the aluminum. But I'm still glad I was able to get the skirt.
Now it's primed and tomorrow, I'll be able to wet sand and paint it white.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Motor Testing

video

Here's a preview of the motor running.
I still have to work on the shims and fine tune everything.
They are running on a 12v. battery right now just for testing,
Once they are mounted in the droids they will run on 24v. batteries.

Monday, October 20, 2008

A&A Foot Motor Mounts

I started working on my A&A motor mounts and here's where I stand so far.
The bottom 2 pics show how they fit into my Krider Budget feet.
The tires are the new 6x2 inch tires that Andy found on the web.
The next pic shows the motor mounted into the frame.
I used 1/2 Nylon shims instead of the thin metal shims that come with the Scooter motors. The metal shims don't give much support to the motor and I think it will also keep the motor noise more quite.
The top pics shows the belt tensioner I'm working out.
Andy uses a Turn Buckle to adjust the belt, But I wanted something alittle more
exact because this also keeps the wheel in alignment.
More to come.