Saturday, November 29, 2008

Crazy Days!!!!!

I knew this day would come and I was not looking forward to it.
R2 from the Ankles up is basically finished, There is a couple of details that
need paint but I'll do it later.

When I started the build, Everything was done in a temporary mode.
As things changed and more functions were added it didn't make seance to
make everything permanent.
So, Today I started tearing him apart a piece at a time and making everything
fit. It took all day to rework 1 leg. All the bolts were added and I changed allot of screws to Allen head bolts.
I also drilled the outer ankle for the wiring to pass through to the foot.
I made a aluminum plate to put under the shoulder hub to bolt my wood outer legs
to the frame. The plate adds allot of strength to this area and I'm positive now the leg won't give in a strain.
Tomorrow, I'll start on the other leg and do the same process.

Even though I have an A&A frame, I have added many different modifications to the frame and used aluminum for these mods. I have never glued the frame and still will never glue it, So future gadgets can be added.
I have screws in all the weak spots I could find on the frame.
Some people claim the frame is too weak for a fully loaded R2, But I disagree.
Mine doesn't give in the joints, It doesn't squeak like some people claim.
More to Come :o)

Friday, November 28, 2008

Skirt Update

I mounted my skirt to see if the screws in the center ankle would show and only the bottom 2 can be seen if you look from the bottom.
I haven't seen the painted skirt mounted until now and it looks funny to me.
I guess I'm use to the flat bottom.

I still have alot of work to get done before MegaCon and I hope I get it finished.
The skirts on the feet, Finishing the battery boxes, Painting the rear door
and alot of small details here and there must be completed.

We ordered the Sabertooth motor controller for the foot motors and I have the Cheap PS2 controller, So it will be wiring time soon.
For MegaCon, I'm going to wire the basics. Feet, Dome and lighting.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

General Update

I got the center foot set and it's level with the outter feet.
Both casters in the center foot are touching the floor and R2 seems to be very easy to push around.
I still have allot of work ahead and really need to start finishing up.
Well, Not much to post but a small update.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Wheel Setting

Here's some pics of what I worked on today.
I managed to get the feet on and get some idea of what I need to do to get everything aligned.
The plastic sheets under the center foot allowed me to get a measurement of how far I need to move the casters down.
Right now you can see the A&A foot motor holder is off balance, But once I get everything set I'll pin it in place.
And you can see now R2 is taller, Due to the large pneumatic wheels.
Once the feet are set I'll know how much the skirt on the bottom of the feet will hide much of the wheels.

Cheap Skin Fasteners

I found these a Lowe's and they work GREAT!!!
They are Variable Depth GM Push Fasteners and they're only $.80 for two.
All I did was drill a hole through the skin and a slightly smaller hole
in the A&A frame where I had added more PVC to the frame making the frame thicker.
Now all I have to do is pop the skin on with the fastener.
I'll paint them white so they don't show much.

Friday, November 07, 2008

More Center Foot

From bottom to top pics.
I had allready cut the Jag flange off the bottom of the foot.
And now I'm building the new skirt for the foot.
I used a 1 inch wide steel plate and this will leave me with a 1/2 inch
reveal around the bottom of the foot. I really wanted a 3/4 inch skirt,
But it looks funny so I'm staying with 1/2 inch.
Once I get the front/back cut, I may stop by and have it spot welded to the foot.
I could used J.B. Weld, But I really want it to be strong.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Center Ankle Work

Ok, I've done something I'm NOT really proud of, But I needed a solution for this problem.
My center leg is made from square aluminum tubing and the standard Ankle mount would not work for me.
In the pic you can see inside the Ankle and the square plates I added inside will cup the aluminum leg very tightly. I plan to add a slot in the plates so a fixed bolt in the leg will slide down into the plates and allow me to tighten the plates to the leg. It's hard to describe so I'll post more pics later.

The other pic shows the screws on the outside. Yeah I know what it looks like :o(
I'll countersink the screws and paint them white so they don't show as much.
Most of the screws will be up in the skirt and will not be seen, But I think the bottom 2 screws may show up.