Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dome Drive System

Here's 2 pics and a video of how I'm building my dome drive system. In the pics you can see how the setup looks. And mounted in the body you can see the short shaft that will have a motor I removed from the Satellite motors assy. I did this because I'm trying to save all available room in the chest cavity for other goodies. I know this assy looks flimsy, But Vex gears and components have not let me down yet. If you watch the video, You can see the shaft turning and that's where the motor will connect. I just need some more parts.




3 comments:

SuperDad said...

I'll have to try to copy you here...even though you probably have more gears and brackets than I have...

I'll just be using a vex motor too..

Looking great man!!

Jason

Anonymous said...

SWEET!!!!!! I NEED TO GET A DOME DRIVE SOON, SINCE I JUST GOT MY ROCKLER TODAY. LOOKING GOOD BUD!!

Calvin Thomas said...

Thanks Guys!!!
Jason,
I'm going to use a large motor attached to the shaft, But you can use a standard Vex motor you got with the kit. The only reason I'm going with the large motor is it's quite. The gear kit you will need from Vex is the Advanced gear kit and the bracket kit to go with it.

John,
Update your blog to show what parts you have so far and I'll help you with some ideas.

Thanks again guys for the comments!!
But wait till I make sure this drive is going to work perfectly.
I have no doubts that it will perform, But I've made mistakes in the past.
Calvin